LOUD WHISPERS: Efuru@50 And Flora Nwapa’s Feminist Legacy

Let me apologise in advance to anyone reading this, who has not read Flora Nwapa’s book Efuru, or any of her other books. My challenge to you is, after reading this, please look for a copy of Efuru. It is one of the greatest books ever written by an African woman, and it heralded a new dawn for African women’s literature. Flora Nwapa was from Oguta, Imo State, Nigeria, and she wrote her first book Efuru in 1966. She was an accomplished writer, civil servant, teacher and administrator. Recently, a group of friends, academic peers and mentees decided to organize a series of activities to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the book Efuru, and to highlight the immense contributions of Flora Nwapa to African literature.

Like every other Anglophone West African student in the 1970s, I read Flora Nwapa’s books Efuru and Idu, as recommended texts for the West African School Certificate.  As relief from the compulsory Shakespeare, T.S. Elliot and Thomas Hardy texts, we were magnanimously allowed to study our own writers such as Chinua Achebe, Ngugi wa Thiong O, Wole Soyinka, Ayi Kwei Armah and other giants of the post-colonial African literary scene.

Full Reading in Loud Whispers cover final

14 Responses to LOUD WHISPERS: Efuru@50 And Flora Nwapa’s Feminist Legacy

1. DSEED December 7, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Now find my interest In reading this two books. I never come across these two books before. I celebrate the author. Happy jubilee.

2. Olowolafe Olanrewaju December 7, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Am not also opportuned to get my hands on these books but I believe it must be heart torching . I will try to read the books so that I can pass the same history to my coming generation. Happy celebration

3. Olakunle Olajide December 8, 2016 at 7:46 am

What a story to get and read. The struggles of an African woman is real and still here. The vision was truly seen by Flora Nwapa.

4. precious December 8, 2016 at 11:59 am

happy jubilee.

5. Abbie December 8, 2016 at 3:14 pm

African women are resilient, strong and seem to have risen above obscurity and relegation. More women need to take a cue from these fictional depictions of strength and break forth from every limitations of society to be all that they can be.

6. Ibk December 8, 2016 at 3:17 pm

I’m glad these fictional characters and their writers are being celebrated. I’m proud to be a woman. Proud to be born in this time and age.

7. D'apoet December 8, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Must read books. Gotta get them

8. Femi Diipo December 8, 2016 at 6:35 pm

I am not a feminist but I respect some of its values and core purposes. I respect those who have dedicated their lives and works to this course and they indeed deserve to be celebrated. Now I must read all the works of this great woman.

9. Opeyemi December 13, 2016 at 11:30 am

I am happy that these women were celebrated and even the writer’s legacy hasn’t been forgotten.

10. Mary December 13, 2016 at 11:32 am

I am proud to be a woman and I really get inspired when I hear about women doing great things. Women should stand thoroughly with what they believe in and shouldn’t be held captive by unnecessary traditions.

11. Monica December 13, 2016 at 11:33 am

Mama Flora. God bless you and I am proud to be a breed from that very town in Imo state. Women are great and should be celebrated greatly!

12. Olaniyi December 13, 2016 at 11:34 am

Efuru and Idu. I must get those books.

Seriously, this platform has increased my knowledge level. I am glad

13. Bamisebi Toluwalope December 14, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Happy Jubilee…… I find this books interesting and have never come across these books before.
    @Olaniyi,i quite agree with you that this platform has been a blessing and increase in knowledge to me. GOD Bless abovewhispers.com ijn.

14. tbams December 14, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Welldone Mama Flora nd Happy Jubilee to your books although am just readin about it on abovewhispers.com. I hope I wil be able to come across it sometime in future to enjoy the beautiful stories you’ve written ma.