Rant Of The Day – This ‘Greetings’ Thing

By Grace Shaibu

You are welcome to the rant column.

As Africans, we have our cultural beliefs which we believe has made us unique from other parts of the world. Then, as a Nigerian too, we have our beliefs, our way of life which can also be called our template.

greetimgs

I am proud of what we have been taught but sometimes I think we go overboard with almost everything.  For example, the aspect of greeting people. I know a good morning, afternoon or night goes a long way but must you wait to be greeted before you greet?

For instance, If someone who has always been greeting you didn’t greet you just for one day and you call the person out to make the person know that you are aware of his/her presence and you know he/she didn’t greet you. So, in other words, you called out to make the person informed to greet you. Can’t you greet? Mtsew!

Common! That’s petty. Anybody should say hello if they want to and if they aren’t saying it, what stops you from saying it? Let’s stop this you owe me some greetings kinda thing and do the right thing when we should.

People greet outta courtesy. It’s not compulsory. I own my mouth remember?

Source: AboveWhispers

8 Responses to Rant Of The Day – This ‘Greetings’ Thing

1. Princess September 14, 2017 at 9:51 am

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion when it comes to greetings, some greet because they don’t want to offend others. And others greet for reasons known to them. Greeting is a thing of perception.

2. Perpetua Dandeson September 14, 2017 at 8:16 pm

Loool. Really, it’s petty..and it’s annoying that this is displayed by people we expect to know better.

3. Kathryn September 15, 2017 at 9:55 am

Greeting to me is not the way people take it. In Yoruba land its only the young ones that greets, while the older ones answer with pride. Its not supposed to be so as there is no age difference in greeting.

4. Ebonychyqui2 September 15, 2017 at 10:05 am

I totally agree with you Kathryn, in Yoruba land if you don’t greet they will tag you a wayward person.

5. Kes September 15, 2017 at 10:12 am

Loooool, but seriously greeting means a lot to me. To me greetings is love!

6. Akpes September 15, 2017 at 10:15 am

Greeting simply means you respect and love the person you are giving it to. Lobatan!

7. Legzycool September 18, 2017 at 11:33 am

I think greetings should be a mutual thing. I know of elder ones that would greet me first when i didn’t notice them. But some peeps just take it as a title that must be given to them.

8. Oluwatosino September 20, 2017 at 8:41 am

Well, I think it depends from where you come from.
    The Yorubas see greeting as a big thing. So when you ignore them, they take offence in it.
    And also, greeting is also a form of respect