LOUD WHISPERS: Thirty Of My Favourite Books

‘A reader lives a thousand lives before s/he dies, the one who never reads lives only one’

George R.R. Martin

I won a prize when I was eight years old for being ‘the best read student in the school’, going by the number of books I took out of the library, so this means  I have always been a bibliophile- a lover of books. It is no surprise that I met (and married) another bibliophile, guess where – in a library! As we celebrate World Book Day on April 23rd, I thought I should share a list of some books that have influenced me over the years. In compiling this list, I tried to stay away from books we all had to read when we were in school, because I wanted the focus to be on books I chose to read other than those I had to read in order to get through school. This is why the books of Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, George Orwell, Jonathan Swift, Alexandre Dumas and many of the famous books from the African Writers Series are not on this list.

In the good old days of the original Heinemann African Writers’ Series, we used to compete with each other over how many we had read, it did not matter if the books were recommended school texts or not. We grew up seeing the contestations of an Africa finding its way in a changing world, through the eyes of Ngugi wa Thiong’O, T.M. Aluko, Elechi Amadi, Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, Ama Ata Aidoo, Denis Brutus, Ayi Kwei Armah, Okot p’Bitek,  Flora Nwapa, Buchi Emecheta and so many others. We also invested heavily in James Hadley Chase, Harold Robbins, Nick Carter and Jeffrey Archer novels. I did not care much for Denise Robbins and Mills and Boon romance novels, but, hey, a young girl needs to dream about love, so I did have a lengthy relationship with Barbara Cartland’s fairy tale-ending novels. As a young adult in my early twenties, I acquired a taste for the steamy ‘bodice-ripper’ genre through the novels of Kathleen Woodiwiss and Rosemary Rogers.  My mother picked up one of my ‘bodice rippers’ once, she started to read it, and then asked me when I would be buying another one! When I was young, we read because we knew no other way of exploring the world. Yes, we had television, but our viewing window was restricted to the two hours between after we had finished our homework and we heard Dad’s car turning in.

A good book took us back in time to ancient lands around the world.  We could take part in treasure hunts, wars, death defying stunts, exciting car chases and high wired schemes of clever criminals that writers such as James Hardley Chase liked to champion. We could also acquaint ourselves with the constant struggles between tradition and modernity, through the lives and choices of Chinua Achebe’s Okonkwo and Flora Nwapa’s Idu and Efuru. Whether we were looking for action, drama, history, romance, sex (yes, we read those too!) or fables as our means of escape into another world, there was a book we could read. Fast forward to now, we are literally begging our children to read something that goes beyond 140 characters. Everything is now  ‘too long’, ‘too intense’, ‘too deep’.

Full reading in Loud Whispers cover final

-Barack Obama’s Dreams From My
    Father
    -Sefi Atta’s Everything Good Will
    Come
    -Danielle Steele’s Echo

3. ogunsakin Taiwo Helen April 24, 2016 at 9:45 am

Five books that have had impact on me
    1. Mandela’s long Walk to freedom-Nelson Mandela
    2. The 7 habits of highly effective people –Stephen R. Covey
    3. Richest man in Babylon- George S. Clason
    4. Purpose driven life- Rick warren
    5. Things fall apart- Chinua Achebe

Five books that I will like to read
    1. Speaking for yourself- Erelu B. Fayemi
    2. Speaking above whispers – Erelu B. Fayemi
    3. Half the sky: Turning oppression into opportunity for women worldwide- Nichole D. Kristof
    4. How giving can save the world- Mattew Bishop, Micheal Green, Bill Clinton
    5. Women, culture and development: A study of human capabilities- Jonathan glover;

4. Detutu April 25, 2016 at 2:28 pm

Happy world book day everyone. so, here are the list of my favourites books., Though 5 is too small but i will try.

1. Everything good will come- Sefi Atta.

2. Secret lives of baba segi’s wives- Lola soneyin.

3. The power of being woman- Michelle Hammond.

4. Alapata Apata- wole soyinka.

5. There was a country- Chinua Achebe.

Books i would love to read.

Think big- Ben carson.

Americana- Chimamanda Adichie.

we should all be feminists.- Chimamanda.

The bride price- Buchi emecheta

5. xasie April 25, 2016 at 2:34 pm

My list…

1. joys of motherhood- Buchi emecheta.

2. sons and daughters-JC de graft

3. so long a letter-Mariama ba

4. The thing around your neck.-chimamanda Adichie

5.The palmwine drinkards- Amos Tutola.

Books i would love to read.

The farmished road- Ben okri.

Oba ko so- Duro ladipo.

a month and a day- Ken saro wiwa

6. Olakunle Olajide April 26, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Wow!! I haven’t really developed my reading habits that well, though i have seen some adaptations of some books in movies and of course the compulsory books i had ro read in school. But with the posts i have read and still reading on this platform, i feel my appetite for reading is growing. So if you would allow me ma, i will like the book titled “What i hope to leave behind: The essential essays of Eleanor Roosevelt 1995. And if possible Chinua Achebe’s Man of the people. Thank you ma. More grace to you.

7. Mr George April 26, 2016 at 7:53 pm

Top 3 books I’ve read
    Americanah&
    Purple hibiscus- chimamanda
    The watch- olusegun obasanjo
    There was a country- China Achebe

8. Bambo Adesanya April 26, 2016 at 7:55 pm

My list:
    Chimanda Adiche – Purple hibiscus, Americanah
    Dan Brown – The Da Vinci Code, Inferno
    John Grisham – The client, Rainmaker, The Partner, The Street Lawyer
    Elizabeth Gilbert- Eat, Pray, Love
    Durgesh Satpathy – Equating the Equation of Insanity: A journey from grief to victory
    Markus Zusak – Book thief
    William Shakespeare – Julius Caesar, Twelft night, Macbeth

9. Kimora April 26, 2016 at 10:10 pm

i am definitely not the biggest reader but i would say:
    1:straight talk no chaser. Steve harvey
    2.48 laws of power
    3.Act like a lady think like a man. Steve harvey
    4.the world in my pocket. James hardley chase
    5. The guilty are afraid
    I could go on but then that would be too long,too deep and maybe too intense

10. Femi Diipo April 27, 2016 at 2:16 pm

From your amazing list of books read, would love to read these ones too. How Europe underdeveloped Africa, So long a letter, You must set forth at dawn, History of the Yotubas, Part of my soul went with him and Beasts of no Nation.

11. Nkem Lola April 27, 2016 at 2:28 pm

OK, now this is one very smooth article!

This line, “Dr Ogunbiyi proceeded to declare all of us illiterates who had somehow managed to impersonate their way into his classroom posing as students” got me laughing out loud…

I can really relate with your words ma, we need the book part of our world reliving in the hearts of many.

OK, I am an adventurous person as much as I am a poetry and story lover!!! (good Lord!) and I always like to help people walk the adventure through my words. Also, most books turned movies help me see the light in the author’s view whether or not I have read the book.

OK, I can’t really remember a whole lot of all I have read but these two I can never ever ever forget!! (please exclaim with me lol):

*The woman, the lover and her Lord by T. d Jakes

*Your best life now by Joel Osteen

(errr, I will now cultivate the habit of familiarizing with publication dates. THANKS ma’am 🙂 ).

OK now to the ones I yearn to read

1. I know why the caged bird sings by Maya Angelou
    2. Speak Rwanda by Julian Pierce
    3. Part of my soul went with him by Winnie Mandela

12. DSEED April 27, 2016 at 4:45 pm

My list:
    * Equipping – John C. Maxwell
    * The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership – John C. Maxwell
    * Power of Positive Thinking – Norman Vincent
    * Think Big – Ben Carson
    * The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People – Stephen Covey
    * Walking In The Miraculous – David Oyedepo
    * The Believers Authority
    * The Threshing Floor – Juanita Bynum… And many more.
    The books I will like to read are your books ma. Have not be opportuned to have access to one.

13. Iribiri Osetemega April 27, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Wow…I am challenged….amongst books read asides literature text include:
    1. Purple hibiscus,Americanah and the thing around your neck- Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche
    2. Waiting and dating- Myles Munroe
    3.Secret lives of Baba Segis wives- Lola Shoneyi
    4.The Family- Karen Kingsburg
    5.The Diva Principle-
    Michelle McKinney Hammond
    6. Heart Matters- Juanita Bynum
    7.The Girl Entrepreneur – Ibukun Awosika
    Those I would love to read:
    1. The accidental civil servant- Nasir El-rufia
    2. There was a country – Chinua Achebe
    3.Half of a yellow sun- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

14. Bamisebi Toluwalope April 28, 2016 at 6:44 am

Woah…..A reader is a leader. As for me am a very lazy reader but have be trying my best to at least read a book every month.. I read inspirational books, story books, etc. D more books u read d more knowledge u acquire nd d more expose u ar. Well done readers. More grace.