LOUD WHISPERS: Will Human Beings Become ‘Abbies’?

The year is 4028. Planet earth died out 2000 years ago. In the year 2028, a scientist known as Dr David Pilcher gave a presentation at a conference on climate change. His key findings were that humanity would cease to exist in a few centuries time, and unless human beings made the necessary adjustments to the way they lived, the world as they knew it would disappear. The participants at the conference laughed at him and most of them walked out. Undeterred, Dr Pilcher continued to work on his theory and research. He came up with a plan, similar to the biblical story of Noah and the Ark. He worked on an experiment that would put thousands of people in hibernation (including him) for thousands of years. This would ensure that should the worst happen, the world would continue to exist with human beings in it. His bold plan worked, and 2000 years later he woke up with all the people he had programmed to sleep. He had been right all along. The world had ceased to exist. Planet earth was wasteland. Nothing could grow anywhere, except for within the new Garden of Eden he had designed with his co-survivors.

This is the plot of Wayward Pines’, a science fiction TV drama in the United States inspired by a trilogy of the same name by author Blake Crouch. It turned out that human beings had not completely died out. They had evolved into terrible creatures known as ‘Abbies’, short for aberrations. Abbies were blood thirsty, violent, rabid carnivores who hunted in packs and fed on anything that moved. They did not need to be provoked, they were relentless aggressors. They were always on the prowl for something to devour. The creators of the new paradise called Wayward Pines had to erect a massive electric fence round the town to keep the Abbies from destroying what was left of the human race.

Full Reading in

Loud Whispers cover final

8 Responses to LOUD WHISPERS: Will Human Beings Become ‘Abbies’?

1. Femi Diipo December 20, 2016 at 9:55 am

This article is in perfect sync with my thoughts lately. People are now so angry and frustrated that they vent their anger at the smallest of things, there’s is no love even in the best of churches and everyone is so careful, careful not too be too kind or friendly with others. I really do hope this world will get better

2. D'apoet December 20, 2016 at 10:03 am

I think ultimately love is what we always need. It’s never too much, it can only not be enough and the world is becoming too short of it everyday. Love is the Abbies antidote

3. Legzycool December 21, 2016 at 8:39 am

Wow.. Really trying to stay human in this time, is a daunting task. Had an experience yesterday that made me so angry when an elderly man that came to work at our home could not give reasonable answers to my questions because i am not my father.. I was so so pissed off that i almost became Abby (if there is a singular form for that). I just had to leave the scene and calm down. Thank you for this piece. My day is made already.

4. Gloria Ogunbadejo December 21, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Sister B, This is such a beautiful, harm wrenching as well as heartfelt write-up. It is both despairing and hopeful. We have to acknowledge the problem in order to be able to find a solution. And we have to continue to name it so the whispers get LOUDER and we can MAKE THINGS BETTER.

I must say though that sometimes we have to trust in the love and friendships that have proven themselves and not let our ego’s get in the way.

5. Gloria Ogunbadejo December 21, 2016 at 2:58 pm

*heart wrenching

6. Olakunle Olajide December 23, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Another heartfelt write-up. I believe love is paramount in maintaining our sanity as human beings. But no matter how much we try, the “Abbies” will never cease to exist.

7. Timi December 26, 2016 at 11:18 am

Shikena!!!
    LOVE, that’s all we need. Love covers all guilt and sins. What a great article – Always informing me… reminding me of how and what to go/do to help humanity.
    God bless the writer of this article, and God bless Abovewhispers.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in advance.

8. L'Oreal December 26, 2016 at 11:26 am

May God uphold us all at this time (Amen). I don’t know and can’t believe what humans are turning to these days – could it be the current situation of the country or the circumstances that surrounds them? I ask myself – I believe nothing can influence the WILL of a man, He/she does what he has in mind, he displays what he truly his… may the Lord keep us safe from scavengers…
    Great article…