LOUD WHISPERS: The Day The Devil Came To Drink Water

Last week when I wrote the article ‘The Float Truck’, I mentioned a poem I wrote a few years ago called ‘The day the devil came to drink water’. It was inspired by events related to electoral activities between 2007-2009. Someone asked me a few days ago why I have not shared the poem on Loud Whispers. It can be found in my compilation of essays, ‘Speaking for Myself’ published in 2010. The Ekiti election is tomorrow, and so I am trying to keep my promise of not a week going by without you hearing from me. Here is a slightly revised version of the poem.
The day the devil came to drink water, I woke up very early
You see, I was expecting a visitor
I was not sure when my visitor would arrive
I was not sure if it would be a He
Or a She
I did not know what my visitor would look like
All I knew was that a visitor would come that day
The day went by
I kept looking out for my visitor
I would jump at every knock on the door
I turned my head if I heard sounds
I twisted around if I heard the sound of footsteps behind me
My heart raced every time the phone rang
After a while, it dawned on me that every time I jumped
Each time I turned my head
Others around me would do exactly the same
You see
I was not the only one expecting a visitor
There were many others, too many for me to count
After a while, we acted in unison
Jumping, turning, twisting,
Creating a smooth rhythm of hope, expectation and anticipation
And then it happened
Amidst a cacophony of unsettling sound
fury, anger, curses, screams, shouts,
Accompanied by guns, tanks and stern looking goons
In full view of those waiting in Iworoko, Ikeja, Ikire and Ikirun
With those in Ado, Abeokuta, Abakiliki  and Auchi watching
Let us not forget those in Cape Town, Cambridge, Copenhagen and Cameroon
Our long awaited visitor arrived
I can’t tell you if it was a He or a She
All I know is that I recognized the visitor on sight
Before we knew it, there was chaos all across the land
Rivers ran dry, taps became disobedient and water pots sat in stubborn silence
There was not a drop to be seen anywhere
The visitor was not who we had all been expecting
It was the Devil who showed up
To drink water
And suck the land dry of hope, to place people in bondage and to dash dreams
I know the Devil will not get away with it
Not this time
Light will shine again in the land
The lamp of truth and justice will shine so brightly it will blind the Devil
Ojo buruku esu bu omi mu
The day the devil came to drink water
That was not the first visit of the Devil
It might not be the last
We should however make sure
Whenever the Devil shows up to drink water
His mission should be rendered impossible

10 Responses to LOUD WHISPERS: The Day The Devil Came To Drink Water

1. Femi Diipo July 13, 2018 at 6:10 pm

Deep!!! The devil surely will not get away with it, and he shall surely be overcome. There surely is hope and light has already began to penetrate the dark tunnel. The day is almost here when we shall say “Victory at last”

2. Dom Dom July 13, 2018 at 6:16 pm

Such a timely composition, it may have been written a while back but it fits perfectly. The devil may have come to drink water but it is time to tell him enough is enough, he should pack and get far away from us. It is time for light to shine. We shall certainly celebrate

3. Olakunle Olajide July 13, 2018 at 9:13 pm

I read the poem in your book and could sense a reality and still do. The light will shine once again and it will always be brighter.
    All the best in the election tomorrow.

4. Lauretta Idemudia July 14, 2018 at 12:51 pm

The devil cannot come again. He will not find water to drink this time around, I intentionally came here to check if you have written anything about today’s event and sincerely, this blew my mind. Erelu, it’s victory!!!

5. Lola Adeoye July 14, 2018 at 12:53 pm

I saw the video of you and the women dancing in praise on youtube. As I watching with my husband we both prayed that, that will be your lot at the end of the day. We might not be there physically, but our hearts are with you. This battle will end in Victory!!. Imole a Tan!

6. Shina Dideolu July 14, 2018 at 12:54 pm

To the man whose neck was broken, to the man who stole the mandate of the people, listen well, Light has come and this Light will shine. At the end of the day, we will rejoice. We are with you First Lady!

7. Olushola Aderanti July 14, 2018 at 1:00 pm

I have gone to cast my vote, I have gone to elect the right man for the job. I have gone to support the man that will push away the governor in pain, the dramatic actor, the joker, omo ale jati jati. This light will shine again! I can’t wait to have you My First Lady!

8. Olajumoke James July 14, 2018 at 1:01 pm

@olushola, this is so beautiful. I love the fact that you went to vote. Do you live there or you travelled down to vote?

9. Victor Udoh July 14, 2018 at 1:04 pm

I have been praying and fasting for the election, I see all the things on social media, you people have worked so hard. Having to put things up on this site like nothing is happening is wonderful.To you and the team, well done. I know it will end in praise. I know it will end in Victory! We shall overcome. Please, when all is set, invite us to come and celebrate with you o. We are your fans and we love you.

10. Olushola Aderanti July 14, 2018 at 1:06 pm

@olajumoke Yes! I travelled down to vote, I do not live in ekiti but I came home to perform my civic rights. I am tired of being laughed at due to the insanity of the present governor. I know we will win. I know!