LOUD WHISPERS: The Heaven For Little Girls

I told mummy

That daddy was hurting me

She said, ‘Shhhhhhhhhhh

Hush girl

Don’t let anyone hear you

How dare you?’

She called me a liar

She called me a prostitute

She called me an evil spirit

I was sick for a long time

Then all of a sudden, I did not hurt anymore

I told Teacher Maggie about Teacher Joe

She said ‘Shhhhhhhh’ too

She said I was wrong

She said Teacher Joe plays with girls all the time

She asked, ‘Why are you the only one telling lies’?

Me too. I told Grandma about Felix

She said, ‘Shhhhhhh’

When I started to vomit,

She took me to see the Doctor

When they asked Grandma, who was responsible

She said I was a bad little girl

When I tried to open my mouth

She said ‘Hushhhhhhhhh’

I did not know babies could hurt that much

I heard Grandma screaming my name

She was asking me to push

Push! Push! Pushhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Then everything went dark

My daddy and mummy did not say ‘Hush’

But they said ‘Yes’, when they came to beg them

Three boys

Three families came

Pastor, Chief, Honourable

Big men and women

They begged and paid

No one spoke to me

So, I went to the back of the house and stared at the water in the well

Then I closed my eyes…………….

Where are we going, I can’t see anything?

See, over there, where the light is coming from

Oh, I see it now

Where is it? Where are we?

Right there, over there

Take my hand

All of us will be safe here

Why will we be safe here?

It is the special heaven for little girls

The ones who were told, ‘Hushhhhhhhhh’.

In memory of Ochanya Ogbanje and the thousands of little girls like her.

16 Responses to LOUD WHISPERS: The Heaven For Little Girls

1. Yvonne Omalicha November 5, 2018 at 9:58 am

This is so pathetic and very emotional. So many girls have died, lost themselves because we never cared to listen and act.

2. Vivian November 5, 2018 at 9:59 am

You know after reading this, I sent to my sisters and told them have deep conversations with their daughters. I cannot understand the pain that these girls go through but from now, I will be an agent of change.

3. Amaka Justina November 6, 2018 at 8:28 am

This is sad tale of our innocent girls. I wish we would take child rights seriously in this part of the world and make sure that these culprits are brought to face the law.

4. Kunmbi Olayele- Martins November 6, 2018 at 8:29 am

So sad… Shhhhh!! That was what they were told and they died looking for justice but this day, justice must be served.

5. chiamaka November 6, 2018 at 8:32 am

What baout in cases where the girl has a baby for her daddy and she cannot talk about it? she has decided to run away to somewhere safe but as she sees the child, she might be forced to take the life of the child. This is the case of a very close relative and it is paining me that all of us are being shhhhhh,, about it. They said we should keep quiet my cousin is almost mentally gone because of this trauma and the consistent, inhumane treatment like she caused it.

• Femi Diipo November 7, 2018 at 3:05 am

My God! This is just crazy. Something needs to be done about this, the father has to pay for what he has done and she needs all the help and support she can get. Please reach out to her and talk to people outside the family that can help

• Olakunle Olajide November 7, 2018 at 7:20 pm

Oh my! Please are you still in contact with her? I believe this platform can be of help to her.

6. Femi Diipo November 7, 2018 at 3:08 am

Such an emotional composition. While reading I wish those experiences weren’t realistic, that they were mere imagination of the writer but they are very true. Sadly, this is the reality of many girls in this world. It is time we stop hushing and do something to stop this menace, this wicked acts of evil men

7. Dom Dom November 7, 2018 at 3:14 am

Those who tell the girls to hush are as wicked as the perpetrators, they are the reasons these evil men keep thinking they can get away with it. Let’s teach our girls to speak up, let’s listen to them and help them. It is time we start to make life better for girls, it is time we start fighting for them and we have to use every weapon available to combat this evil

8. oyinlola Daramola November 7, 2018 at 7:57 am

One of the reasons why I hate traditions. I feel most of the traditions we have are just meant for pure darkness because how can a young girl say such a thing and they keep mute? they say it shouldn’t get out there. Selfishness and wickedness.

9. Veronica Imaseun November 7, 2018 at 7:59 am

I am basically speechless. I read this and I was mute, I don’t even know what to write because I don’t know why I am writing this but what I would say is, sisters, let us come together and do something. Stop hiding! Let us do something.

10. Ayishat Idris November 7, 2018 at 8:02 am

We are going through so much as a nation and its annoying that our justice system is fraudulent. There is no safe haven for girls who have gone through this. When you want to go to the court and fight, they will silence you and tell you to forget about it, ask you to forgive. Like really? what is the way forward?

• Olakunle Olajide November 7, 2018 at 7:17 pm

I ask myself this same question. What is the way forward? Only in rare cases do victims win such cases that is if it ever gets to court.

11. DSEED November 7, 2018 at 1:20 pm

I kept imagine if this very act is what the devil is so mindful of these days, he has pleasure in it because it is just everywhere. Why would a father want to molest her very own daughter, uncles out there hurting there cousins. When some prostitute are out there given it out for free. Why??? This as to stop. Instead of shutting down voices of the victims alarm should be raise and appropriate judgment should be done.

12. Olakunle Olajide November 7, 2018 at 7:11 pm

This is just too emotional. I don’t even know what to say. This poem just sums up the stories of a lot of molested young girls and ladies. This world is just full of evil men and evil people to cover this unforgivable act. My heart bleeds and i know i have a lot of work to do for young girls.

13. Eric Onuoha November 11, 2018 at 2:32 pm

This is so sad. Many girls are hurting in this manner but they are silenced. Too bad we have to lose our little girls because no one pays attention to them.