LOUD WHISPERS: A Prayer For My Country

As my country marks another year of independence

I say a prayer of hope

As I flip through newspapers, switch channels

and read one WhatsApp post after the other

Almost all bearing tales of woe and gloom

I say a prayer for peace

As normal activities every where else become abnormal in my country

As every single day unveils the talents of yet another drama King or Queen

All of them unrelenting in their capacity to confound, confuse and amuse

I say a prayer for sobriety and clarity

As our founding fathers and mothers roll in their graves

Shuddering in disappointment and boiling with anger

I say a prayer for wisdom

As the ‘Not too young to run’ brigade gather momentum

And the ‘Not too old to run’ fight back

I say a prayer for fairness

As my country celebrates another year of freedom from colonial masters

And as local masters go to war with their local fiefdoms

I say a prayer for moderation

As our prayer houses and spaces grow exponentially

And our men and women of God employ bodyguards

Yet cover their flock with the blood of Jesus,

I pray that God will never turn his face from us.

As our rains get heavier, and the floods keep coming

I pray that it is only our sins that are washed away

and not our children, homes and farms

As one more year passes by

And our leaders gather to recite all the right things in all the right places

I pray for the will to right all wrongs

and the courage to save this great nation from chaos

As we celebrate another year of freedom

I pray for a spirit of humility

I pray for the willingness to reflect

I pray for understanding

That we might know there are things we cannot dance our way out of

There are examinations in life that need to be taken and graded

And there are things that can not be fixed by fixers

I pray for good health to all

I pray for prosperity

I pray for the success of our children

And I pray that we are all here when the next year rolls by.

12 Responses to LOUD WHISPERS: A Prayer For My Country

1. Femi Diipo October 4, 2018 at 10:49 am

Amen!!! A sincere prayer from a caring mother and leader. Nigeria will be great

2. Dom Dom October 4, 2018 at 10:50 am

Amen. You have said it all ma’am

3. lukman October 5, 2018 at 8:33 am

Amen to the prayers and I sincerely pray for peace in this coming elections because the signs are becoming alarming.

4. Rekiya Umaru October 5, 2018 at 8:37 am

This is the sincere prayer that we need as a nation. We need to pray and act accordingly. If we had leaders with your kind of heart and thoughtfulness, this nation wouldn’t be where it is now. I pray for my country Nigeria that all will be well with her.

5. Olumola Gift October 5, 2018 at 8:39 am

I was checking through and when I discovered a new post on Loud whispers, I knew it had to be a prayer for this country. You didn’t disappoint, Iya Rere. God bless you for the prayers because this is all that we need. We are far from the promise land but if everyone in this country will sincerely pray her and act as good citizens, we will be fine because Nigeria is a blessed Nation.

6. Olakunle Olajide October 5, 2018 at 10:11 am

Amen and Amen.
    These prayers resonates with me because it seems difficult for individuals to make changes to our beloved country. I pray God answers our prayers and make Nigeria great again.

7. Samuel October 5, 2018 at 11:07 am

Amen. I receive peace for the nation.

8. Eric Onuoha October 5, 2018 at 5:48 pm

Amen and Amen. Let our country continue to enjoy peace and may we not divide

9. Nkechi October 8, 2018 at 9:31 am

As thoughtful as always. If only you could be in the helms of affairs in this country… It’s well with Nigeria.

10. Seyitoba Justina October 8, 2018 at 9:32 am

I am beginning to really feel prayers is the key in this nation. I don’t know what else can solve our problems. It’s like we have been recycling issues over the years and nothing seems to work. It’s my prayer that The light will shine again.

11. Matilda Johnson October 8, 2018 at 9:36 am

For Nigeria to be great again, we need a lot of people with sincere prayers like this in their heart and willing hands to work the talk.

12. oyeleye B October 8, 2018 at 5:52 pm

Amen. The peace of the Most High God will never depart from our great country, Nigeria.