LOUD WHISPERS: Revenge Of The Older Woman

When Emmanuel Macron, the President-Elect of France won his election in a landslide on May 7th 2017, much of the focus was not on the politics which threw up such a massive victory for him and his party. It was about the twenty-four year age difference between the handsome 39 year old President-Elect and his much older wife, Brigitte Trogneux, who will be the next First Lady of France. The tongues and tweets have wagged ceaselessly since then, with commentaries and memes ranging from the humourous to the bizarre and outright nasty. Women marrying much younger men is nothing new, but it seems as if there is some kind of mathematics that the world is comfortable with. A ten-twelve year difference might raise eyebrows but could still be forgiven. But twenty four years! The world will be talking about this for many years to come. This so-called controversy over the age-difference of the Macrons is a fall-out of the global nature of patriarchal norms. No one is unduly bothered about the age difference between President Donald Trump and his wife Melania Trump which is exactly the same as the Macrons’.  It is expected that powerful older men would keep upgrading their possessions, be they cars, houses, jets or wives. Now the shoe is on the other foot and a much older woman has claimed (and has kept) a fine specimen of a guy and the world is on fire.

Let me state my biases clearly at this point. The main problem I have with the Macrons’ love story is the age Macron was when he met the woman who became his wife. He was fifteen years old. If a thirty-nine year old teacher had seduced my son when he was fifteen, I would have rained fire and brimstone on her head, and she would have done all kinds of jail time for molesting a minor, sexual harassment and whatever other charges would stick. However, once a minor becomes a legal adult, there is nothing you can do other than beg, counsel, and pray. If my son shows up with a woman who is twenty-four years older than him, all my solid feminist credentials will be torn to shreds. Knowing that I am dealing with an adult who is making an informed choice, I will make myself a permanent resident at Redeemed Christian Church of God Redemption camp, Mountain of Fire and Miracles, Celestial Church of Christ, Winners Chapel, you name it I would be there. I will go to Jerusalem on pilgrimage, to India for whatever I could find there, and I will seek the help of my Muslim friends for prayers to cover all my bases. I will abandon my unbelief in the supernatural and consult all the family oracles I never knew we had, and perform all the requested sacrifices round the clock, clothed or unclothed, slaughtering any cows, rams, chickens or goats in my way. I will deploy all my older relatives to make enquiries to find out who I or my ancestors have offended to be visited with such a calamity.

Full Reading in Loud Whispers cover final

21 Responses to LOUD WHISPERS: Revenge Of The Older Woman

1. Opeyemi May 15, 2017 at 2:14 pm

Hmmm. This is deep

2. Dom Dom May 15, 2017 at 2:38 pm

For all the gender similarities in men and women, the issue of beauty may forever be irreconcilable. What men want in women and vice versa. However, I think Yeah we should take care of our women and cherish them more even as they grow older

3. Femi Diipo May 15, 2017 at 2:45 pm

Despite all the seeming seriousness this article seem to be crammed with, I’ll choose to see the sarcasm and irony. If young girls are getting sugar daddy why can’t young boys get themselves some sexy cougars too. Perhaps I should be in the lookout for one for myself #punintended#

4. julie May 16, 2017 at 12:16 am

Waoooh i kind of like this write up, old woman deserves to love and be loved too you know?

5. Akpegbe May 16, 2017 at 12:26 am

Being an old woman doesn’t mean one can’t get a young chap to make her feel sexy now, what really matter is that both parties are enjoying themselves . It’s supposed to be a win-win parole.

6. Princess May 16, 2017 at 12:40 am

As for emmanuel macron and brigitte, they know what they found in each other. No man can comprehend the length and breath of any relationship except he’s the one involve.

7. Ebonychyqui2 May 16, 2017 at 12:59 am

The revenge is necessary i must confess, older women too Have blood flowing through their veins, some folks believe woman above fifty don’t Have a right to sex, fashion or what Have you. Cut the crap, if a woman can’t engage at that stage of her life, then the men too should respect their old age and keep their trousers ziped. Both sugar daddies and sugar mummies ain’t chilling. Some say a man doesn’t get old but a woman does? #twist nose#. Well its a thing of perception!

8. Branny May 16, 2017 at 1:01 am

True talk @ Ebonychyqui2.

9. Legzycool May 16, 2017 at 6:14 pm

I get the point here, but for me i say a no no to sugar daddies and mummies. He was a minor when this relationship started, that to me is unacceptable and i can base his judgement on influence. But come to think of it, people will always talk even when an old widow gets married to an old widower.

10. Olanrewaju May 17, 2017 at 12:37 pm

It doesn’t go well with me o but if Macron is happy with his wife. No wahala. But in Nigeria, I don’t think that can be possible though

11. macwilliams May 17, 2017 at 12:43 pm

This reminds me of the photo I saw somewhere, 50 is the new 25. But sincerely, if you take good care of yourself, you will look as dashingly beautiful as ever even as a man. Just take a look at RMD. At that age, that man still rocks like wind.

12. feranmi daniels May 17, 2017 at 12:47 pm

If ladies can get married to older men, I don’t think it’s bad. It’s not as if he left his wife for her. We find love in the strangest places o. He has found his love. Let him shine.

13. Helena Maxwell May 17, 2017 at 12:48 pm

I like this article. It’s juicy and engaging. But really, it can only happen in France. That’s it.

14. Olushola Aderanti May 17, 2017 at 12:51 pm

I have an aunt who is way older than 40, but she looks 22. I mean, this woman takes very good care of herself and I aspire to be like her even when I get to that age.

Loads of African women tend to neglect themselves when they are getting older. They hide it under the term of aging. It starts with the mindset, change your mind discover new possibilities.

15. Maureen Adams May 17, 2017 at 12:53 pm

This is so true. No one should be detered from finding what is rightfully theirs. If Emmanuel Macron is happy, Okay!

16. gbemisola May 17, 2017 at 3:27 pm

Hmmm. This can happen outside. In Nigeria, they will just call the guy a gigolo

17. Bisi Alawode May 18, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Hmmm. Like mama rightly said I can’t imagine that o as a mother. That union must break! We are in Africa please.

18. Tolulope Adefemi May 18, 2017 at 1:46 pm

Lmao. it’s funny, strange but real. I don’t think I like that idea but then live and let’s live.

19. MARIA May 18, 2017 at 1:50 pm

Macron has seen investment. That’s what I will say.

20. Oluwatosino May 18, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Lol…. Funny thou.. A young nd handsome guy marrying someone old enough to be his mum… It’s a No No for me o. Macron Is Happy with his choice and I wish him all the best but it’s still a No No for me.
    However, am not in support of sugar daddy and Sugar mummy.. What sugar are they adding to ones life other than to even add more bitterleaf… Chai

21. Akpes May 21, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Had a gist with a friend today and raised the issue of this older women revenge, guess what his response was? The older the sweeter. What a psycho he is. But could it really be true? Seriously I need someone to enlighten me on that. For all who have seen this write up what’s your take on this?