LOUD WHISPERS: Who Is A Witch?

Last week, there were reports and bizarre photographs from Delta State, Nigeria, concerning an alleged witch. The ‘witch’ looked very ill, and was either pregnant or had a massive tumour in her stomach which could indicate any number of serious ailments.  She was lynched by a local mob for ‘stealing someone’s pregnancy’.

We all grew up hearing about ‘witches’.  Even though no one around us had ever seen one for sure, we were all fed tales about how witches are dangerous, female creatures who afflict people with incurable ailments, offer up their own children to be eaten, strike down successful young people and make women barren. These witches could be anybody. They could be the cantankerous old woman selling provisions near your house who always snarls at you when you go to make a purchase. She could be a family member who always laughs, smiles and prays for you but wishes you evil. She could also be a co-wife who is the readymade suspect should any calamity befall  other wives in the household. From the way we understood it, witches could be young or old, male or female (but predominantly female), with the powers to leave their bodies at night to attend meetings, or inhabit animals such as birds or cats to carry out their nefarious activities.

Full Reading in Loud Whispers cover final

21 Responses to LOUD WHISPERS: Who Is A Witch?

1. Olakunle Olajide September 5, 2016 at 1:35 pm

God bless you ma. I actually don’t pay attention to people calling someone a witch because i term it as ignorance. From personal experience, i once believed my mum was a witch when i was a little boy due to what other family members said, but it is still the same mother that made sure all her children are University graduates. “May her soul rest in peace”. I have noticed that in Africa, to call a old looking woman or unkept child or someone in one’s family a witch is just to point accusing fingers on somebody, they are all falacy. And like you rightly said, the form of principalities and spirits in high places we battle with are the rapes, kidnaps, embezzlements e.t.c the little things that are becoming norms in the society, that have gained ground and still spreading everywhere. I pray for spirit to discern and fight the right battes. Thank you for this exposure. Sharing asap.

2. precious September 5, 2016 at 3:00 pm

i don’t believe anyone should call his or her mother friend or anybody a witch

3. Princess September 5, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Let’s call a spade a spade and not an agricultural implement, there are witches. I have been to a program before where word of knowledge was given about some witches, they were all asked to come out. Lo and behold they came out themselves without being forced!

4. Harryrrah September 5, 2016 at 3:54 pm

This is a very wonderful write up, truth be told one doesn’t need to see a person sucking blood or flying before he or she can be termed a witch. For me anyone who does evil things is a witch or a wizard!

5. Gloria Ogunbadejo September 5, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Princess…..Sometimes a spade IS an agricultural implement. Many of these so called ‘witches’ may be people with mental health issues who can be highly suggestible, vulnerable and easily manipulated.

What I find so disturbing and frankly infuriating is the deeply wicked, evil acts of some of the accusers of these so called ‘witches’. Under the right circumstances THEY are the ones who qualify as witches and wizards, or if we want to call a spade a spade as you say, their behaviour constitutes nothing short of the devils work under the guise of something righteous.

6. Princess September 5, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Gloria I don’t think so, some witches are not even ill all they do is destroy, the one I wrote about after being called out confessed how she had treated her caretaker, the poor woman was taking good care of her but all she did was inflict several injuries on the woman. The girl was very young and she claimed to be an old woman in her coven. Well I don’t belief witches can get close to me or harm me because I am a talking Spirit full of fire. I only wrote what I saw ok?

7. Femi Diipo September 5, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Can we eradicate superstitions, can we all come to believe that there’s no spiritual world influencing the physical or can we at any point boldly say there ain’t witches and wizards around us? Maybe not. But we can choose to concentrate on the positive things of life and try to develop ourselves and others in the physical realm that we are certain of. I mean why making so much fuss on beliefs that no one is exactly certain about?

8. D'apoet September 5, 2016 at 10:56 pm

Witch or no witch, wizard or no wizard. Let’s move on from all these and tackle the corruption and vices jn the nation. Let’s rid ourselves of the evils we have seen and confirmed rather than tagging women and children with things that can not be proved.

9. Bamisebi toluwalope September 6, 2016 at 1:46 pm

I grew up knowing that we have witches and wizards… Those days when we watch nollywood movies about witches and wizard. Have never seen one neither can i identify one but God knows them.
    Those stoning, maltreating, and Killing the so called witches should be careful and be sure they are not accusing the wrong person. May God have mercy on us and give us the spirit of discernment ijn.

10. Legzycool September 8, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Like my eldest brother would say, most of these things via learnt behaviours. It’s just what tradition has imbedded in us, just like the Halloween in the west. I’m not disputing the fact that there are witches, but I feel it is just being overemphasized.

11. maveedah September 8, 2016 at 7:07 pm

Sincerely africa is one continent where our minds are clouded with sooo much superstitions and religious views but having said that let us not allow our civilization let us neglect the fact that there are witches ooo

12. onozare September 8, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Most times when we cloud ourselves with such thoughts we allow bitterness,hate take over…

13. DSEED September 8, 2016 at 7:18 pm

I have the belief that there are witches. Not because I have seen but because of what I have heard and things happening around. Even the bible says that should not be ignorance of evil devices.

14. Olowolafe Olanrewaju September 8, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Who are witches? Why is it that when they point out a witch is always a woman? I do belief they exist because I have come across it in the bible the reward of a witch .

15. olaluv September 8, 2016 at 7:33 pm

Even if there are witches around us, who are we to judge them by stoning them to death. Praying for there repentance is the best. And if they refuse to have a change of mind by still doing evil surely God will judge them.

16. lanfem. September 8, 2016 at 7:35 pm

What we then say to the word of God that says we should not allow them to live. But I think we should get to know who are witches before passing judgement wrongly.

17. Utibe September 9, 2016 at 3:43 pm

God bless you for this ma. It’s horrendous what some women & children have to go through because some ‘prophet’ in the bid to gain easy money or followership tags them a witch & blames them for certain unfortunate happenings & their lazy & ignorant family members fall for the lie hook, line & sinker. We really need to put ourselves in these women & children’s places & feel the hurt & pain & then maybe next time we’ll think twice before labelling anyone a witch without any evidence or consideration.

18. Timmie_K September 11, 2016 at 8:53 pm

From my little knowledge – I do believe there are witches, wizards and sorcerers depending on what we choose to call them. They are not restricted to women/ladies alone. Anybody (of any gender) can be – I don’t think there are records of places in the Bible where their creation were being pointed out. They are men possessed by demons, carrying out the wishes of the devil.

19. Fiarad September 11, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Witches or no witches ooooo – I won’t keep believing in what Psalm 125:3 says – that the rod of the wicked shall not rest upon the lot of the righteous ; lest the righteous put forth their hands unto INIQUITY” (UNBELIEF is a SIN – the greatest so far) . #JudgementIsTheLord’s

20. Fiarad September 11, 2016 at 10:01 pm

Witches or no witches ooooo – I won’t stop believing what Psalm 125:3 says – that the rod of the wicked shall not rest upon the lot of the righteous ; lest the righteous put forth their hands unto INIQUITY” (UNBELIEF is a SIN – the greatest so far) . #JudgementIsTheLord’s

21. Detutu September 12, 2016 at 7:40 am

My favourite part is ”the rest of the world is making technological and scientific advances”’.

This article best relate that we just like doing what is mainly irrelevant. It’s high time we got something tangible to show the world than some irrelevant showcase of cannibalism.